Wednesday, February 11, 2009

How to Travel With Kids: A Few Ideas

So while I may not be a mother to 14 kids like the Octuplet Lady in California, I have done my fair share of traveling with wee ones. What can I say? I've got lots of brothers and sisters (not eight, though, thank goodness) and I'm everyone's favorite Auntie Carmen, especially when I'm going somewhere cool. Over the years, I've figured out a few good tips and tricks for traveling with the babes. Here's some advice:

1. Do your homework. Scout out some good travel deals first and when you've done that, then start figuring out how the kids will fit into it (can Junior stand a four-hour flight? Does the hotel offer a babysitting service?) My poor brother and sister-in-law once got so excited by the thought of a cheap Mexico vacation that they totally forgot to check if kids were allowed. Guess what? They showed up with their little one in tow....and were shown the door.

2. Don't get on the plane first. Alright, you know how airlines always let parents with young kids board first? Don't do it. Seriously, just don't. Do you really want your child on the plane longer than he has to be? Yep, didn't think so.

3. Have your kids pack their own bags (but check them first!) My nieces and nephews get super excited about traveling (guess they're chips off the old block!) My sister ramps up this excitement by letting them pack their own carry-on bags for the plane. Bonus: no-one forgets that all-important blanky and a boring trip to Des Moines to see great aunt Martha suddenly takes on a whole new glow.

4. Never underestimate the power of games. Sure, a suitcase full of new and exciting toys might work wonders to keep your kids occupied during take-off, but don't forget how fun a good old-fashioned game of I Spy can be too. I recently passed a three-hour flight with three seven-year-olds this way, and not once did any of them say they'd rather be playing Tetris instead.
Digg this
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment