Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Golden Rules For Packing

If they gave out medals for excellent travel behavior, I'd surely get the one inscribed "Best Packer." It's a skill I've learned over the years and one I manage to put to good use rather frequently, particularly with most airlines now charging fees for checked baggage. If you've got a vacation coming up, here's something you might be interested in: Carmen Sanfrancisco's golden rules for packing!

Rule Number One: Organization is key! Everyone says that you should lay everything you want to take out on your bed and then put half of it away. Well, I've tried it, but I somehow seem to keep sneaking stuff in afterwards. What good is that? So my tip is to write down everything I think I'll need and then decide how it'll work together on my trip. Trust me, once you've figured out that your hot pink leopard print ballet flats don't go with any of your pants, you'll skip 'em.

Rule Number Two: Have a dress rehearsal! Once you know what you're definitely packing, try it all on. That green skirt doesn't really work after all, does it? Well, good thing you figured that out before you brought it all the way to Hawaii!

Rule Number Three: Don't bring things you know you won't use: Just between you and me, how often will you use the hotel treadmill? Yep, that's what I thought. (I'm not a spy for nothing, you know!) If those sneakers are taking up valuable suitcase space, don't bring them.

Rule Number Four: Wear your heavy things on the plane. My cowboy boots, my coat, and (of course) my favorite fedora: what do they all have in common? Well, they're all big pieces of clothing which are hard to pack. Ergo, I wear them on the plane--and take them off as soon as I get on!

Rule Number Five: When in doubt, just say no. This is a toughie but I've gradually gotten better at making myself follow it; after all, it's often just that last pair of jeans that you miiiiiight need that ends up being the straw that breaks the camel's back. If you're not sure if you'll need something, chances are you probably won't.

So there you have it, a few good rules on how to pack for your vacation. Now if you could just squeeze Michelle Obama's Inauguration gown in there as well---wasn't it gorgeous?---you'll be all set.



Digg this
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment